Electric net fencing is a type of portable fencing made up of plastic mesh with electrified strands woven through it. It is used with an energizer and ground rod like high-tensile wire fencing, but the close spacing of the mesh net gives more protection against external predators. Because it is portable, it is ideal for systems where animals are pastured and moved to fresh grass frequently. It's often used for sheep and poultry but is suitable for goats and cattle as well.
- light and portable, easily moved for temporary pasture
- close-spaced mesh keeps out deer, raccoons and other predators
- must be moved frequently or vegetation cleared from the fence perimeter
- tends to sag if not adequately supported with additional posts
- not terribly sturdy - if a tree branch falls on it, it will probably get knocked down
Maintenance includes moving the fence regularly as well as checking the energizer and ground rods. If it is kept in the same place, the fence can be moved, the grass under it mowed, and it can be replaced. Moving the fence can be done quickly by one person once the process is learned.