1. Home
Lauren Ware

Growing Ginseng?

By February 18, 2009

Is there anyone out there who has tried growing ginseng? We have this question from someone on the forums about it, asking for input and for folks to share their experiences, especially if you've grown it to sell.

It seems that the kind of ginseng most in demand is wild simulated ginseng. This is a very unpredictable way to plant and harvest a crop and in fact, you wouldn't call it a crop at all. To grow wild simulated ginseng, you'd attempt to establish a stand of "wild" ginseng in the forest floor, seeding it in the habitat that it naturally uses. The ginseng would become naturalized to its environment, self-seed, and be perpetual.

If you've grown wild simulated ginseng, or any other kind, stop in and share your thoughts and experiences.

Photo Flickr user t4n14_phei

Comments

February 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(1) Erika T. says:

I’ve tried for over 15 years to find out the same thing. I have tried the Library, the computer and asking people. No luck. Even though with all the info I did find and heard about, it is not enough to get it going. Could never get a good picture of it or a source to buy the roots. So if anyone has all the info about the above[mine and the other Questioner], PLEASE, please send us the info. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

May 30, 2009 at 3:03 am
(2) Eric says:

I just recently bought some young ginseng roots to grow into plants. I’ve been doing alot of research on the subject and find that generaly you simulate the woodland floor and just let the plant grow. No fertilizer, mild maintence and 75 percent shade. Ginseng likes a cool environment(hence the shade) and needs the ground to freeze in the winter. It will grow very slowly during the summer and not at all during the winter. After about 7 or 8 years you can harvest the root if you would like. This is what i’ve gotten so far from my research. I’m going to be planting the roots in the next day or two and will write back and let you know how it goes. The only worry i have is that i live in Albuquerque New Mexico which is not ginseng’s natural environment. It is a dry hot environement in the summer and a dry cold environment in the winter. I do have a nice cool shady spot in my yard that gets watered often so i’m going to try it there. I might also try another in a large pot so the roots have room to grow and i can move it around incase it gets too hot. I’m guessing my ginseng won’t be as good quality as some grown on the east coast. But we’ll find out. It would be greatly greatly appreciated if someone could give me some advice on how i should try growing it in new mexico. If anyone wants to buy some viable roots i suggest Ktbotanicals.com. They are a real reliable site that sells ethnobotical plants and herbs. Just type in ginseng root in the seach bar and you’ll find it. you might have to scroll through a page or two of ginseng root extracts but it’s there on the 2nd or 3rd page. good luck. and again if anyone has any advice on growing in new mexico please write back or email me at animu2003@aol.com

June 28, 2009 at 10:04 am
(3) Carle says:

Wild-simulated ginseng gets the best price and grows slower than cultivated ginseng under artificial shade. Ginseng can be a profitable crop to grow. You can also grow goldenseal, a medicinal herb grown under similar circumstances. For where to get seeds and rootlets for this fall’s planting, write to Lee’s, P.O. Box 68276-A, New Augusta, IN 46268.

September 14, 2009 at 12:28 am
(4) Craig says:

I have tried and succeeded at growing ginseng. The best way…buy some seeds or fresh roots, plant them, and see if they come up next year. Best time to plant seeds and fresh roots is in the fall right before frost. The frost will hibernate the ginseng. The fresh roots should come up next year, the seeds may take another year. If you buy stratified seeds, they can come up the next year. That just means they’ve been put into sand and buried for a while, and are ready to germinate. I recommend going with the seeds because you get more seeds for the money, but you could transplant a few fresh roots to get a quicker start with fewer plants.

You need to put your ginseng on a north or northwest facing hill, under about 70% shade. Ginseng doesn’t like really moist soils, so make sure the land drains well.

Most seed is sold for $80 or more a pound. Check out http://www.cwherbs.webs.com for cheap stratified seed. E-mail cwherbs@yahoo.com for questions. Explain your situation and we’ll try to help. Good luck!

-Remember Ginseng is an endangered species, and there are many laws regarding the harvesting and sale of the plant. Make sure to check your state laws.

June 4, 2010 at 1:57 am
(5) ually says:

hi;

this is good idea to Growing Ginseng? which is good in future

November 20, 2012 at 10:23 am
(6) chris says:

I live in northern Alabama an i have a little place in my yard under a sugar maple wth ginseng goldenseal blood root and a few other native woodland plants, in the few years that I’ve been growing and harvesting I’ve seen an studied ginseng around here usually mid February i begin seeing the sprout emerge from the ground by March they will be almost two or three inches tall depending on the age of the plant by April the leaves are unfolding an looking like a true plant by May you should see a nipple in the middle of the plant depending on the age of the plant by June ginseng should have a flower on it an this is the time when you wanna watch your local weather channel for i have my patch at the top of a mountain an it gets pretty hot around this time so if there’s no chance of rain for a few days you would wanna check the dampness of the soil and if you do have to water it do it early or late never mid day you will burn it up an only use stream water by July the flower should be a seed pod with small berries by August the seeds should be a dark green an about as big as they get by September the berries are almost rip but not truely rip give or take a few days by November the leave begin turning different colors but as far as growing goes it doesn’t take much effort i tend to mine alot because i have other native plants like black an blue cohosh,Jack in the pulpit goldenseal,queens crown fern,Indian pink,and an assortment of wild flower but folks this is just for looks an it helps hide from ppl looking for an easy way to make a dollar but IM doing this for a cause to help replenish the ginseng population

February 9, 2014 at 11:15 pm
(7) Patty says:

Can I grow ginseng in Delaware & Maryland.